Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Zimology



I Think back to our one and only meet on January first 2009, where you give me an inspiring speech on how to not let anything get in the way of achieving my dreams. Remembering the refreshing perspective of how you told me that you couldn’t pay attention at Sunday school because the books contained pictures of the devil, which resembled you far too much. Considering my question: What does Qula Kwedini mean? The moment the penny drops for the songs meaning. The shock of hearing of your worldly departure. I remember you: Bra Zim Ngqawana.

Magical music and a laid back attitude to life, Bra Zim was an inspired jazz art hailing from Port Elizabeth, New Brighton. Having lectured Jazz studies at the University of Natal he has inspired and taught the likes of Zakhile Moleshe (More widely known for his Goldfish collaborations). From our encounter, I remember Bra Zim as a laid back kinda character, which was as striking as it was intriguing especially for someone who was nearly thirty years my senior. As we spoke and I told him about my ridiculous ambitions still anticipating turning 21 he spurred me on, where most old people would have been amused. The bigger it was and the more ridiculous it seemed the more he was enthused and engaging. Strange for a man his age, I thought. I in all honesty, I really did not know who I was speaking to.

I know I’m living in the future when I’m notified of such big deaths via Facebook and not my parents. The Jazz legend suffered a stroke and passed away Yesterday. The exact details of his death still seem to be somewhat murky and conflicting but this is what it sounds like happened. On Monday he suffered a stroke whilst rehearsing at his home in Troyeville Johannesburg for a show he was to be perform at Wits over the weekend. He was then admitted into hospital at 15:30 where the hospitals CAT scan machine was broken and thus was only scanned at 23:15 when the doctors discovered that the stroke had already caused his brain to bleed. His ventilator was then switched off yesterday at 10:00 A.M. I assume he passed away shortly after. Bra Zim was of Islamic faith and was buried in accordance with his religious beliefs. He was laid to rest last night, possibly around 20:00.

Having played at Nelson Mandela’s inauguration, where he lead the 100 people filled “ Drums for Peace Orchestra” and also played as a solo-saxophonist, it’s not hard to imagine the grave loss of Bra Zim to the South African and Global Jazz community. His album Zimology recorded live in Switzerland was one of the most ethereally haunting Jazz albums I’ve come across. "Music is still there when the sun goes down. It provides energy for a spiritually depleted universe." You found the words that I could never stumble across. Farewell Bra Zim. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaiN5Jwisn0

3 comments:

  1. please note that the ventilator was never switched off before he passed. all machines were switched off after his heart stopped beating. IN this country nobody has the right to switch off any machines while the person is still alive. His heart stopped beating, then the machines were switched. please correct the content of your post. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. With respect i will not change the contents of this post as the I did mention that I did not have exact details and that they were from some conflicting sources.

    I also cannot fully agree with the statement that machines are not switched off prior to death. But this is from personal experience and I would not like to further expand on that.
    Thank you for taking the time out to read the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does the phrase "Qula kwedini" mean?

    ReplyDelete